The DIY Heatless Curler
Save your hair, plus the environment, with this scrap busting DIY heatless curler.
This set is designed to be made from scrap and left over fabrics. You can also use thrifted garments, pillowcases or bedsheets. Looks prettiest and is most gentle on your hair in a silky fabric.
What you need:
- Non stretch fabric 80cm x 30cm
- Stretch/knitted fabric scraps for the stuffing
- 6 or 8mm elastic
- Loop turner
- Medium/Large hair claw
1. Cut out your fabric pieces as below measurements. Plus cut 2 x 18cm elastic strips for the scrunchies.
*** If your scrap isn't quite long enough you can join two pieces together like this
2. Iron all short ends to wrong side by 1cm. Do this for the curler and scrunchie pieces.
3. With right sides together, unfold the ironed edges and pin down long edge of strips. Sew this seam at 1cm. Do this for all three fabric strips.
4. Using a loop turner or safety pin, turn your 3 pieces out the correct way.
5. Iron the 2 scrunchie pieces flat with seam on the edge, be careful not to iron over your already ironed up edges.
6. Thread elastic up through the 2 scrunchie fabric tubes and pin down at one end. Use the loop turner to go up inside the tube and hook the other end of the elastic, pull through and pin both ends of elastic together.
7. Overlap ends of the elastic by 1cm and use a zig zag stitch to secure elastic ends. Repeat for other scrunchie.
8. Push raw edges of fabric tube inside and overlap one edge of the tube as shown. Sew down, securing both ends of tube and elastic inside. Repeat for other scrunchie.
9. Take the long curler tube and fold the short raw edges inside on one end only and sew this one end shut.
10. Now you should have the below. Two finished scrunchies and 1 long curler tube closed at one end.
11. Take your knitted fabric scraps and trim them roughly into strips as below
12. Fill the curler tube with your scrap strips
13. Once filled, fold the short raw edges inside and sew the end shut.
Watch this IG reel for the making of the curlers and the end reveal.
Using The DIY Heatless Curler
1. Ensure your hair is 80% dry
2. Place long curler on top of head and secure with claw
3. starting at the very top wrap your hair tightly in 1inch increments around the curler
4. Once you get to the base of your ears, wrap hair all together around curler
5. Place scrunchies over curler ends to secure your hair ends
6. Wear for at least 4 hours, overnight is best
For different ways of wrapping your hair search 'Heatless Curls Tutorial' on TikTok or YouTube.