Make this bag in less than 2 hours from leftover fabrics or pillowcases. I have used scraps of an amazing handloomed silk and an op shop pillowcase. The handles are purchased from Spotlight.
1. Use paper or trace and toile to draw out the bag shape you desire
2. Once you have decided on your bags shape, use this as a pattern piece to lay over your fabric, then cut out your bag!
3. Sew the outer fabric pieces as shown below, right sides together. Then sew the lining pieces together the same way, ensure you stop at 16cm from the top to allow for the opening 'V' section, overlock your internal seams if your fabric is likely to fray.
4. To sew the 'V' section at the top of the side seams, place the outer bag inside the lining bag and with right sides together, sew down from top of bag as far as you can go into the 'V' point. Do this again on the other sides.
5. Turn bag out the correct way push lining inside the bag. Top stitch down the 'V' side seam section and iron to keep flat. Then overlock across the top of the bag with wrong sides together.
6. Now you just need to sew the handles in. Use the zipper foot. Fold top edge of bag over the handle enough to be sewn down. Sew through the overlocking.
7. Give the gathered section a good steam with the iron to hold it in place and you're done!