With all the cool girl brands dropping bias skirts over the past few months I thought it was finally time I made my own using the Evie Bias Skirt pattern by Tessuti. Print fabric was at the top of my list, thanks Reformation + Realisation Par, however when I didn't find the perfect pattern I chose a rich chocolate silk satin from Tessuti fabrics.
After cutting out the paper pattern pieces I realised the skirt was going to be way too short for me so I added 17cm to the hem. Then, on the loungeroom floor I lay my new pattern pieces on the silk only to release my fabric wasn’t wide enough to allow this new skirt length. I was so bummed, my bf was lying on the couch next to me watching Harry Potter and I was so ready to throw in the towel to climb up and join him. After lots of sighing I problem solved that if I cut 7cm off the hem I could still fit all pattern pieces on the fabric, so I persevered!
Once I had all fabric pieces cut out I proceeded to step 1 which was overlocking the internal side seam. We had just been through cyclonic weather and the sea salt air had snuck into my sewing room and seized up my overlocker and rusted all of my pins. This second hurdle was harder to cross. I had my bf inspect the machine and he tried to get it moving again with slight success however managed to break both needles in the process. Being too eager to make this skirt I decided to move on without overlocking my sides seams.
The rest of the garment came together very smoothly. I should mention I didn’t actually make a toile! It was pretty risky to cut into silk without sampling but sometimes I’m too keen. I would still love the skirt to be a tad longer so for the next one I make I'll have to source wider fabric or add the seam. Overall I love the finished product and I’m still on the hunt for the perfect printed fabric!